Moving can be a stressful process, but luckily there are some easy ways to make it easier. Realtors in Langley recommend hiring a local moving company for your move – this is the ultimate guide on how to do that! Here are five tips you need before hiring any company, three ways to save money on moving companies and five things that are hard to move, and how you can handle them.
5 tips to hire a local moving company
Before hiring a moving company, there are some things you need to know. Here are five tips to help make the process easier:
Do your research. Not all moving companies are created equal, so it’s important to do your research before selecting one. Ask friends and family for recommendations, or search online for reviews of local companies.
Get quotes from multiple moving companies, not just one or two. Ask each company for a written estimate so you have all of the details in writing. Then compare these estimates to get an idea of which company is offering the best deal and will meet your needs best.
Check references thoroughly. Not only should you ask the company for references, but also call these people to see how they felt about their experience.
Get everything in writing. If there is anything that seems unclear or if something sounds too good to be true, make sure it’s written out so you know exactly what you are getting into. Even minor details, like the date of your move, can cause confusion if they are not put into writing.
Ask about insurance. Most reputable moving companies will have insurance, but it’s always a good idea to ask and make sure you are fully covered in case something goes wrong.
How to hire a local moving company
Now that you know how to hire a local moving company, here are three ways to save money on the process:
- Book in advance. Many companies offer discounts for those who book well in advance.
- Use a truck rental. If you have a large move, it might be cheaper to rent a truck than to hire movers. Just make sure to get quotes from both a truck rental company and movers.
- Split the work with friends or family members. If you have enough people, this can help make your move cheaper. You could also ask if any of them need to hire moving companies for their own moves at around the same time as yours.
What are some of the things that are hard to move? Here are five examples:
- Furniture with delicate details. If your furniture has any intricate carvings or is made from a fragile material, it will be harder (and more expensive) to move.
- Heavy appliances. Large appliances like refrigerators and washing machines can be hard to move, especially if you don’t have help.
- Pets and plants. If you have pets or plants that need to be moved, it will add extra work (and time) to the moving process.
- Lots of boxes. If your move includes a lot of boxes, it will take longer to move and will likely cost you more.
- Valuable items. Anything that is valuable (like jewelry or antiques) should be packed carefully into your own boxes, not with the rest of your stuff in the moving van.
Now that you know how to hire a local moving company and what can make it more difficult, you’re ready to take the next step!
Hiring a local moving company can be a stressful process that is full of challenges. Luckily there are some easy ways to make it easier for yourself – if you know what to look out for and how best to save money on your move. Here are five tips before hiring any company, as well as three ways to save money. If you want more tips on how to move or what things are hard to transport, just read the full blog post!